Monday, September 24, 2012

KFC


It rained for the first time since I´ve been in Bolivia a few days ago.  By rain, I mean that a thousand forest-fire-fighting helicopters flew by and dropped billions of gallons of water over Santa Cruz.  It was honestly the hardest rain I´ve ever seen, and a lot of the residents say that it´s the hardest rain they´ve ever seen too.  Every major road here has a canal that runs down the midde as a median.  They are on average about 5´ wide and 5´ deep.  Every single one of these was overflowing so much that a couple of the handrails on some of the canal-crossing bridges broke from the water flowing against them.  The streets were basically flooded and there were no taxis or buses on the streets, because nobody wanted to drive in all that water.  This was rather unfortunate because we has a conference that we had to go to about an hour away.  After doing a bunch of calling, trying to find a way to get to the conference, we found that the zone leaders had a brave taxi driver who was a member of their ward who was willing to take them and pick us up as well.

I got to play racquetball last pday...kind of.  It was like racquetball, but in a bigger court without the back wall and ceiling (for you "Most Interesting Man in the World" fans it is the sport that he is playing in the very 1st commercial).  This sport is also fun and I was able to beat the ward member who went with us 2/2 times.  I was also able to beat my companion, but that was easy considering that he is the worst racquetball player in the world.  He would completely miss the ball 3/4 times, and when he did hit it, it would go over the 35´ wall.

On a completely unrelated note, I asked Elder Garcia, my companion, if they have KFC in the Dominican Republic (where he is from).  He responded that they do, and then said, "¡Todos los negros les encanta KFC!" (if you can´t understand that, use Google translate, but I think most of you will be able to understand it).  He then said that if you saw a black person walking down the street and asked them where they were going, they´d say "KFC".  This made me laugh because it fit perfectly with the American stereotype of black people loving fried chicken.  If anybody was wondering, my companion is black as well (with like 1/4 latino).

That´s what I´ve got for this week, so until next time,

Elder Casdorph

No comments:

Post a Comment